Hello loyal Celia Bedilia fans…Happy Memorial Day weekend. I am such a fan of summer and I cannot wait to get started enjoying this wonderful season. So this weekend I am planning to fill the pots and planters on my deck and front patio add lighting to my backyard and maybe host a BBQ!
Container Planting Tips
- Fill 1st ¼ of your Containers with Better Than Rocks, this is a mesh product
- Be creative when choosing planters this is a great place to reuse/repurpose items, Wheel Barrows are great for vegetable gardens and you can move it to follow the sun! Choose different size pots and 1 color or mix and match.
- Choose the right potting soil for what you are planting
- Start with your favorite plant as the center of your planter, add filler around it. I like potato vine, and herbs as my filler.
- Make a color plan before you go shopping; take the color of your house into account. For example I have a red house, purple, white and yellow look great against red.
- I use different height plants as well, I like to have some height to each pot, I think just having pansies in a pot looks dinky!
- Fertilize your containers!
- Have fun with it your pots, if you have young kids get them to help…they love to get dirty.
Mason Jar Lights and Lanterns
- Collect assorted sizes of Mason jars, add a 2” pillar candle, moss (wet it first) and then use twine on the lip to complete the look! These look great on outdoor tables because they are rustic and natural looking.
- For the hanging Mason Jars (use large jars) you will need wire, I make the U shaped hanger first with four 14” lengths of wire create loops at the bottom and then twist the 4 wires into one, then side wire through the loops and around the lip of the jar I go around the lip 4 times and then cut the wire and twist it onto one of the loops of the U. Add a small pillar candle and a touch of water. Hang from branches in the trees or from shepherds’ hooks! They are really cool.
Easy BBQ Menu
Baby Grilled Potatoes
- Toss mini potatoes with oil and salt and pepper grill over medium heat for 30-35mins.
Yum Mum Salad
- 1 bag Boston lettuce
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 10 strawberries sliced length wise
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- 3 Tbsp goat, feta or blue cheese
- 3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, 5 Tbsp Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp OJ, Pinch of Salt, Sugar, and Pepper, ¼ Tsp Mustard-mix in small bowl- toss with other ingredients just before serving.
Lemon Grass Flank Steak
- 1/3 cup Peanut or Canola Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Ginger, minced
- 3 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- Other ingredients
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Put all ingredients in a large zip lock 6-8 hours before grilling
- Grill on med-high for 4-6mins per side
ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND