This was an interesting project. I loved the home owners they are very nice people, but it was clear that the home’s decor reflected the husband more than the wife. This was the first house that they had purchased together. My goal was to make it their dream house. The bones of the house were very good…this is always a help when designing a space.
This is what we did
- Painted out the built-in bookcase to lighten the room (In this case the walls were in perfect shape and a nice color, I would normally paint the walls and trim, paint is the best way to change a space)
- Refinished the hardwood floors
- This home had 5 different flooring options on the first floor in an open floor plan. I recommended replacing some of the flooring with hardwood to match the existing hardwood and tie the spaces together.
- BIG TIP: DO NOT USE TOO MANY COLORS OR FLOORING CHOICES IN AN OPEN CONCEPT, IT WILL NOT ONLY MAKE THE SPACE FEEL BUSY IT WILL MAKE IT LOOK SMALLER.
- We replaced the two oversized leather sofas with one sofa and two swivel chairs.
- We brought in a great rug from Home Goods (inexpensive and fun)
- We used their existing coffee table
- We organized and displayed things that they treasure in the newly painted built-We added lamps and side tables
- We added fabric…cushions, pillows, Ottomans, curtains and roman shades…this really warmed up the space.
LOOK AT THE AFTER SHOTS!
If you are looking to change your home, paint the walls and trim, dress your floors-refinish, recarpet or cover, change the lighting, if you can buy new furniture great but conside reusing what you have, paint it or recover it!
I hope you like this post. CLICK on the follow button and never miss a post! Also let us know your thoughts and comments. Thank you for reading and being a part of Celia Bedilia!!!
- Before & After: From Crummy To Fabulous Faux Bois Concrete Floors Vintage Revivals (apartmenttherapy.com)