What do I do with my living room…this is the question that Anne (my right hand gal) & I are asked the most.
Formal living…is out of style. I do have a great appreciation for a beautifully decorated home that has a formal living room, dining room, library and parlor. In general we do not live that way anymore.
More often than not I hear my clients say that there is no living going on in their living rooms. I think we can change that!
I removed all the walls on the first floor of my house to open things up, and allow us to live in every space. I have pillars to hold up the steel beam that allows this open concept to work, and I use those pillars to create different living spaces in the room. We have a TV area, Living space, dining space and kitchen all in one room!
If you do not want to make a major change like I did, I understand.You can still make changes to your home to make it reflect your lifestyle.
- Add a TV to your living room…I know you do not want to but…you can hide it!
- Look at the seating in the room; is it comfortable and adequate to seat the family and friends? If you love your furniture consider recovering it, this is usually about half the cost of replacing items. I love rooms that have two sofas!
- How do the walls look? Are they tired looking? Fresh paint will fix this! You can also add trim, wainscoting or wallpaper.
- Do you have a coffee table that anchors the space? Make this piece large enough to hold books, magazines, flowers and hors d’oeuvres. This is a family and entertaining space!
- Do you have an area rug? Is it the right size? A good sized rug should allow you to set your furniture at least halfway on the rug.
- Make the room cozy and comfortable. In the Northeast we use drapes and throw blankets to cozy up our homes.
- Do not forget lighting, sconces, recessed lights and lamps are a must.
Here are some of my favorite rooms and must haves:
- I love this room layout, it is very balanced but not boring…note the TV above the fireplace.
These curtain panels are fabulous:
Seating is the single most important feature of a living room:
Proper lighting is crucial!
Coffee tables…anchor the room
Side tables are also a must
Do not overlook dressing your walls…paint, wallpaper, trim, mirrors and art finish the look.
Floors cannot be forgotten hardwood, tile, carpet are all great options. Go with a rug that matches the style you are trying to achieve, do not try to make the wrong rug work!
Finally the finishing touches are so important