According to Wikipedia: “White is an achromatic color, literally a “color without hue”, that is a mixture of the frequencies of all the colors of the visible spectrum. It is one of the most common colors in nature, the color of sunlight, snow, milk, chalk, limestone and other common minerals.”
The color white makes us think of words like pure, fresh, crisp, clean…virginal. psychologically we think of white as representing a “clean slate”. In design it means we can do anything, with a white background you can create anything! I love to use white to simplify a space.
- Below the pitchers and the plates are white and it allows for the cookbooks to have color but not look busy.
2. In this space the Bar is a big built-in, but because it is white like the trim it appears to disappear into the background.
3. This bookcase in a kitchen island has a collection of white dishes and then soft mercury glass candle holders. In this example the white makes the vignette more sophisticated looking.
4. Bathrooms are a fantastic place for white, after all we want people to think clean and fresh when they see a bathroom!
5. Bedroom storage is also a great place for white, this cabinet makes this bedroom look crisp and tidy!
6. This is one of my favorite shots. The white cabinet is so pretty filled with this soft blue and white pottery.
7. The white trim and ceiling make this living room so inviting. So now we see that white is inviting too!
8. I use a lot of white when styling photo shoots, as it goes with any decor! These bird vases from Chive.com are so cool!
9. White is particularly effective in a barn. In these two shots you can see what I am talking about.
9. The white tile and accessories really help you see the cabinets, lighting and island in this photo.
White is so versatile, fresh and crisp, next time you need to choose a color…think of the non-color white.
I hope you are all staying warm, we are very cold here in Maine. It was 1 degree this morning and it will be below zero tonight. I am looking forward to spring.
Thank you for stopping by, please let me know your thoughts on this and any post by commenting or liking the post.