I have just returned from two glorious weeks in the eternal city. Honestly, there is no place I would rather be. I love Rome for so many reasons, it is incredibly beautiful, steeped in history, fashion forward and walk-able. This trip I had the pleasure of going with a group of fabulous women. We stayed in a charming apartment that I had rented before, which is centrally located in the heart of ancient Rome. We walked, shopped, talked, cooked and laughed the days away.
Here is my top ten of must see things, and places in Rome.
- Galleria Borghese and the Borghese gardens. There is more beauty in this villa than your eye, heart and mind can digest.
2. Ostia Antica- the ancient port of Rome was incredible because it highlighted how advanced the Roman Empire was. Here are some of the floors that remain in the ruins, the black and white mosaics are from the baths. I wish my floors looked like that!
3. Altare della Patria- my favorite building in Rome, this building serves me well, not just its’ handsomeness but its’ central location makes it a great way to learn the city. Look for the flying horses and you can get home!
4. You can’t help but to love the Colosseo or Colosseum. This was in my neighborhood and although I saw it everyday I never tired of it.
5. I love the buildings in this city, the colors and the history ooze from them.
6. Tivoli which is just outside the city is a great rest-bit from the crowds in Rome.It has the Villa d’Este a Unesco world heritage site. I highly recommend going to see this beautiful villa and the spectacular gardens.
7. If you love Art Rome is the right place for you to go. It is everywhere even on the sidewalk and on buildings.
8. Do not miss the Protestant Cemetery, or the Non Catholic Cemetery as it is labeled on maps. This is an awe inspiring spot.
9. A great day trip from Rome is Orvieto, this is an incredible town know for its beautiful cathedral, wine and pottery. The perfect trifecta in my opinion.
10. Lastly If you have the time or opportunity, walk up one of the seven hills of Rome and look down upon this splendid city. You won’t be sorry!
I hope you enjoyed my favorite spots in Rome I would love to hear and see yours. let me know your thoughts by commenting or liking this post.
Thanks for stopping by,